Monday, April 30, 2007

The Scoop

DISCLAIMER: The text hereinafter included need not be true, false, or partly true or partly false, but may indeed be partly, if not completely, somewhere in the middle of truth and, uh, the opposite of truth. The text does not necessarily represent the opinion of the author or any other law student, but indeed does purport to do so with a strange sort of vehemence and utter despair. Any objections or disapproval, mild, bitter, profane, or otherwise, may be swallowed whole, for the ears that they shall fall upon, are indeed deaf as Italian marble.

INSIDE THE MIND OF THE DISILLUSIONED LAW INTERN:
WHY LAW WAS "THE" MISTAKE

(1) I get bored too easily, and considering legal commentaries run into several hundred pages, I wanna drool all over them and drown in it;

(2) There are a lot of other things I can do, y'know, like take part in the administration, make the office look better, drink more coffee, sing, dance, help them organize so that the files don't have holes the size of three years in them, basically just entertain them...! I feel underutilized. Their HR didn't see me comin'!

(3) I feel that I'm much more creatively inclined, and law requires a rather stunted mentality, coupled with a more severely stunted outlook, all the same expecting you to maintain a holistic approach, which, quite frankly, is wholly contradictory and drives me nuts;

(4) I'm always wanting to write watertight confidentiality clauses, but apparently, things don't need to be as confidential as I'd like them to be;

(5) Law books are too fat. I'm actually thinner at the waist than some of them;

(6) We use the word "matter" more than molecular research scientists;

(7) I hate post-its;

(8) I spend more time formatting than I do drafting;

(9) The more I research, the further I find myself from the probable answer;

(10) Judges have too much time on their hands for poor interns to handle - I refuse to read a 400-word long judgment in a language that would put the combined forces of Wordsworth, Dostoevsky and Shakespeare to shame, only to discover that they (the judges, that is) did not think it fit to deliberate on the "merits of the case";

(11) There's nothing called integrity in the profession; even mandrakes are more self-respecting.

END NOTE: Unauthorized reproduction of the above is entirely encouraged in legal grapevine. Amen.

5 comments:

That Girl said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, and more thanks for the nice words :)

And great post! :)
Tarun sent me that Satyam Shivam thing you'd forwarded to him... and, well, uhh, what do I say. All the words in the world have probably been used up already in that judgment. And whoever said creativity is not required in Law. Judges and lawyers seem to utilize all the superior literary skills that they (imagine they) possess in framing long, flowery, imagery-laden sentences with weird words you didn't even know existed. Apparently courses in Literature and Law are perfectly substitutable.

And
I spend more time formatting than I do drafting
- Ohh, that's so me! :)

Jayant said...

I can SO identify with all these reasons.
Although, I wouldn't say I 'hate' Economics, I know I'm certainly not meant for it(all of us can't be as madly in love with this discipline as our dear friend Tarun, you see). And while it doesn't really require you to be as 'creatively stunted' as does Law (Creativity does great wonders when you're writing an exam that you're totally clueless about. Believe me, I've been doing that for the last three years), well, it's not the same as going to a film school.
Can't wait for it to get over now.
And this again reminds me of that dreaded question, that question that you always make a point to not answer - even to yourself...
Why did you take it up then?

Uhh..wish I knew.

Silver Mist said...

Lets see now:
1)I get bored too, with Eco.
2)There ARE a lot of other things to be done, for example.. nothing!
3)Eco readings are fat too!! Ungh!!
4)I love post-its though!
5)I don't research, I blindly mug up everything and puke it all out in the paper..
:(

So it seems we're ALL in the same boat. No one seems to be made for their courses!! Damn! Hmmmmm!!


PS: Glad you corrected the Alllahabad thing! :D

Silver Mist said...

Damn, I just made a spelling error in Allahabad! Blame it on the keyboard! That wasn't me, I swear! The keyboard did it...

Damn!

life_as_a_box said...

Hey, thanks for the comments guys!! Glad you liked it and/or could relate to it in some way!!... ;p Cheerz.

Powered By Blogger